Submit Your Entry
- Nomination period 1 October 2021 – 30 September 2021
- Initiatives can only be submitted to one category
- You must be aged 18 years or older to submit a nomination
- Nominees must be based in the Waikato region
- If Sport Waikato feels your nomination is a better fit to another category, we will contact you to discuss
- Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Nominees will be judged by a panel and finalists will be contacted, and may be filmed for promotional purposes. Finalists will be published here and on social media and invited to the 2021 Waikato Sport & Active Recreation Awards evening on 25 November 2021 where winners will be announced.
Community Connection Award:
Celebrating those individuals or organisations that have created initiatives that respond to the needs of the community. How has the initiative created connection in the community to bring people together?
- Show how you have innovated and created a connection to your communities because the offering needed to change to fit the needs of the participant
- We want to see the innovation, the thinking outside the box, the doing things differently in a changing world
Sport & Active Recreation Partnership Award:
Celebrating collaboration and the coming together of key organisations to leverage outcomes for the betterment of play, active recreation and sport opportunities and experiences. This award is for councils, community organisations, iwi, education providers or any organisation partnering with others to provide sport and active recreation opportunities to their communities.
- Show us how you have collaborated with others to achieve a common active goal
Outstanding Active Space Initiative:
Celebrating the unique use of spaces, places and facilities in ways that support increased participation in sport and active recreation. The initiative needs to have occurred in (for example) parks and open spaces, community halls and facilities, playgrounds, waterways, gullies or school spaces, and it focuses on a celebration of the ways that sport, active recreation and play spaces can be created anywhere!
- This is your opportunity to showcase your initiative - show us how you have taken a space, whether outdoor or indoor, and utilised it for the benefit of your community to help more people be active
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Celebrating initiatives that support diversity and inclusion within sport and active recreation. This includes initiatives to increase access, participation, leadership and inclusion among ethnic minority groups, disabled people, women and girls, cultural and religious groups or other marginalised communities.
- This is an opportunity to show us how you have empowered individuals, understood and responded to need and created a culture that empowers, attracts and develops diversity and inclusion
Nominate a community coach for their ability to create positive team culture, providing participation and development opportunities, promoting the spirit of the game, encouraging fair play, and commitment to Balance is Better/Good Sports principles.
Commitment to Youth Engagement:
Nominate an individual or initiative who inspires and grows young people to be involved in physical activity opportunities. Initiatives may be in the areas of play, active recreation or sport and can be any age from early childhood through to young adults (age range 0-24).
Community Unsung Hero:
We’re looking for those people in your community that help make play, active recreation and sport happen – those who have given their time during the nomination period to provide opportunities, create change and support participation in an unpaid volunteer capacity. Maybe they’ve been instrumental in increasing numbers at your club, provided their expertise at the governance table to support the organisation’s direction, they might have lead initiatives, or provided their professional services at no cost to help something great happen.
- The volunteer must be an unpaid position and have effected change within the organisation during the nomination period.